MTV Music Awards welcomes their first female black host, Tiffany Haddish. Most well known for her role in Girls Trip, Haddish is a Comedian and Actress who won the Best Comedic Performance. She fills the stage with blunt and raw humor, roasting stars from the Kardashians to the Stranger Things cast.
The MTV Music Awards is showing efforts on becoming more inclusive. Last year, the show introduced all gender neutral awards and open with Asia Kate Dillon, a non-binary artist. This year they awarded Lena White, a black lesbian writer-actor-producer, with the Trailblazer award and awarded the best kiss to the movie Love, Simon.
Michael B. Jordan’s acceptance speech for Best Villain was full of jokes, telling fans to stop asking Baseman to say “Wakanda forever”. And threw shade at Roseanne, saying she should have won the best villain award.
Seth Rogen and Kristen Bell came onto stage showing off many tattoos. Bell said she was trying to connect with the youth by getting an avocado tattoo on her cheek and Rogen turned around and exposed a Vin Diesel back tattoo.
Chris Pratt shared some advice when he accepted the Generation award.
- "Breathe. If you don't you'll suffocate."
- "You have a soul. Be careful with it."
- "Don't be a turd. If you're strong, be a protector. And if you're smart be a humble influencer. Strength and intelligence can be weapons. And do not wield them against the weak. That makes you a bully. Be bigger than that."
- "When giving a dog medicine, put the medicine in a little piece of hamburger. They won't even know they're eating medicine."
- "Doesn't matter what it is, earn it. A good deed. Reach out to someone in pain. Be of service. It feels good and it's good for your soul.
- "God is real. God loves you. God wants the best for you. Believe that. I do."
- "If you have to poop at a party, but you're embarrassed because you're going to stink up the bathroom, just do what I do. Lock the door. Sit down. Get all the pee out first, okay? And then once all the pee's done, poop. Flush. Boom. You minimize the amount of time that the poop is touching the air. 'Cause if you poop first, it takes you longer to pee. Then you're peeing on top. It's stirring it up. The poop particles create a cloud. It goes out and then everyone in the party will know that you pooped. Just trust me. It's science."
- "Learn to pray. It's easy and it's so good for your soul."
- "Nobody is perfect. People are going to tell you, you're perfect just the way you are. You're not. You are imperfect. You always will be. But there is a powerful force that designed you that way. And it loves you. And if you're willing to accept that, you will have grace. And grace is a gift. And like the freedom that we enjoy in this country, that grace was paid for with somebody else's blood, do not forget it. Don't take it for granted."