Hair Oils and Essential Oils go hand in hand when promoting healthy hair. When making the decision to use essential oils on your hair, it is important to note that they should ALWAYS be diluted with a carrier oil.
A carrier oil is a base oil that is used to dilute essential oils before they are applied to the skin/used in aromatherapy.
Hair Oils (Carrier Oils)
- Castor Oil- Natural antibacterial properties; Balances scalp pH; Replenishes natural hair oils
- Argan Oil- Tames frizz, promotes silky soft hair; Treats split ends.
- Olive Oil- Rich in vitamins & oxidants; protects keratin in hair
- Almond Oil- Adds sheen & silkiness
(Should be mixed with hair oils - which are also carrier oils, as required)
- Peppermint Oil- Stimulates hair growth & prevents hair loss
- Lemon Oil- Treats dandruff & scalp acne
- Thyme Oil- Prevents hair loss
- Lavender Oil- Moisturizes scalp & balances sebum
Essential oils should be added according to required dosage.
For dandruff control:
Apple Cider Vinegar Mask
ACV is very good as an ingredient in face masks, but its clarifying properties are beneficial for hair cuticles.
2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
1 Tablespoon water
- Mix ingredients in a bowl and whisk with a spoon until a smooth paste is formed.
- Apply mask to hair
- Leave for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse mask out 2-3 times
Coconut Oil- Promotes strong hair growth
ACV- Increases hair growth by clarifying hair, prevents split ends, fights lice.
For dry hair:
Avocado, Honey and Olive Oil Mask
Ripe Avocado (pitted and scooped)
2 Tablespoons of honey
2-3 Drops of Lavender essential oil (optional)
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Mix ingredients in a bowl, mix until smooth
- On damp hair, apply a mask, paying specific attention to ends of hair.
- Cover with shower cap, heat with hair dryer
- Leave for 15 minutes
- Rinse out the mask, shampoo, and condition hair.
Avocados and Olive Oil- Contain fats and oils that nourish and repair dry and brittle hair
Honey- Adds moisture and shine
By: Chizzy Obilonu