Flawless by Friday is a Made-in-Canada beauty brand, and their mantra of "feel flawless in your own skin and in your own way" stays true with their extensive line of makeup and skincare products. They were even featured at Yorkdale Centre until July 31st with other inspirational beauty brands to make you look and feel like a million bucks! We talk with Brittny Skylar Robins, the founder of Flawless by Friday who has spent years working in the beauty industry.
1) Tell me a little about yourself.I am one of 5 sisters and a lifelong skin care and makeup junky. I grew up on a farm and never had less than 5 dogs in my house. I worked in event marketing and realized I didn’t have the passion for that industry that everyone around me did. I then finally followed my calling and started working in the beauty industry at 24.
2) How did you create Flawless by Friday?It really came out of a little bit of frustration. Frustration that the beauty industry which I always loved so much was feeling complicated and intimidating to me. I set out to create products and a brand that focuses on speed and simplicity which helping women feel like their most flawless self. I wanted to be able to teach people the most effective way to use their skin care and the easiest way to apply their make up. I started populating a document of pictures and words and quotes that inspired me. I then started slowly by dreaming of and conceptualizing one product – I found a list of manufacturers and starting discussing my idea with all of them until I found the perfect fit.
3) Who has been your biggest inspiration?I’ve been inspired by Estée Lauder since I was little – she was a major hustler in the industry and has left quite an incomparable legacy. My parents have also always inspired me to be the best version of myself by showing me that they were able to raise a huge family while still being the best versions of themselves. I have also now surrounded myself with women who truly inspire me. Two of my amazing partners Lucie Andlauer and Bonnie Brooks have pushed me to get better as a business owner (and a human being) every single day. They showed me that no one can ever tell you that you “can’t” do something and that if you are hard working and intelligent you can figure anything out!
4) Have you met any obstacles along the way?Many, many obstacles. I still face obstacles every single day. I am in an incredibly competitive industry and on top of that I have learned the hard way that running a company isn’t only about having ideas that resonate with people its also about learning how to manage people, manufacture and ship product, keep track of your own finances etc. I also found that as a 20-something woman going out to raise money I faced many challenges in terms of trying to get people to take me seriously. Fortunately, I kept at it until I found the right partners to move the company forward with.
5) What are your plans for the future of Flawless by Friday?To continue to roll out Flawless in 15 (our colour concept) and continue to demystify beauty and save people time in their routine so that they can go into everyday feeling like their best self.
6) Do you have any tips for makeup artists hoping to make their own company?Start!! Don’t wait for perfect – just do something small every single day to move towards your dream and don’t be afraid to ask for help!
by: RUBY ZHAO